Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Loved Again


I see how you yell, curse and flog

And beat him like he’s a homeless dog

But the very next minute, even while he’s still in despair

I see how you draw him close and run your fingers through his hair

You mutter a few warm and soft words while locked in an embrace

And suddenly, a tender smile spreads across his face

Here I am, standing in the rain

“Sir, would you show me how to be loved again?”



Your wrapper, falling off your waist

You certainly seem like you’re in haste

Yet you subtly take it off to shield your two daughters from the cold

The very same ones who just made you scold

I see how they look up at you with tears in their eyes yet surprised

I ask myself what makes you so wise

That’s why I’m here, for my heart is in pain

“Madam, would you please show me how to be loved again?”



Like that was not all

Just across the street, I see you, about 6 years old, roughly 3 feet tall

I see how you weep for your dog that was bruised in the side

I wonder what you would do if it had died

I see how you gently rub its back and kiss its head

I look at myself, all my wounds and my torn clothes; also, I’m well underfed

So please don’t think I’m insane

But would you show me how to be loved again?



It is a few days to my birthday

But I’m the only one who remembers it, so I’ll celebrate it the same way

I only hope that this year I wouldn’t break down in tears

Because, for a while, I’ve been living amidst my own fears

Yet I see all of you, taking little acts of love showered on you for granted

If only I could sit under your table picking up the bread crumbs, oh, if only it was me instead

If only I could have a little taste, if only I shared in your gain

If only I could know what it feels like to be loved again

No comments:

Post a Comment